WELCOME

Hiphop, rap, house, jazz, soul, funk, r&b and all that. Introducing artists and recommending great music.

Pages

Hip-hopster on Facebook

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

14KT

now playing: 14KT - Ypsilanti

Kendall Tucker aka 14KT is one of my favorite producers right now. He comes from Ypsilanti, Michigan, and for some he might be familiar from Athletic Mic League and The Lab Techs. His beats are nearly everywhere and, for instance, he has had an impact on getting buff-1 and DJ Haircut aka Mayer Hawthorne to where they are at the moment.

The Golden Hour [SDTRK.] is 14KT's instrumental debut album released in 2008 and also the soundtrack to his life, as he puts it.


If you want to read more about the album and the artist, you should check this interview out. In 2008 he was also a finalist in the Red Bull Beat Battle.

The next full release is called Nowalataz. The album is fully inspired by J Dilla, 14KT's (and my) favorite producer.


Here it is… a project I unofficially had done since 2006. It started when James Yancey a.k.a. J Dilla passed that February. To cope with the death of my favorite producer, who I liked to call my unofficial “musical mentor,” I started making ‘donuts’ …uncontrollably. I never planned to release any of the material out of respect for Dilla & his craft. I’ve shared some of the music with others, in which they would repeatedly ask me to hear it, so I decided to put a little something together and make it official. JUST FOR YA’LL.
Quote taken from A-Side Worldwide.

In 2010, 14KT won the Red Bull Beat Battle. By then, I think, he was recognized as one of the freshest and most versatile beat makers out there.

The newest release, 2011, is called 14KillaTape.


Straight up…this is that raw ish. Slaps. Face twisters. Hard beats. All these joints were made in a span of 08’-11’. It all started when I first got into the Red Bull Beat Battle in Detroit end of 08’. I was never known as a beat battle type producer and believe it or not, I actually don’t like battling with beats. However, that was my first time ever battling with beats. Knowing I was battling, I definitely found myself in a different frame of mind when I sat down to make joints in the lab. While in the lab, my motivation was making beats that I would have HATED if my opponent played them against me. I took a collection of beats where I had that mind state and mixed them with other beats I made during that time period. I’m setting this Killer Tape off with the first joint I ever made in a beat battle mind state and the rest is history. I got a new nickname under my belt now, 14KillaTape…haha.
So, if you still haven't listened to 14KT's beats I suggest you to fix the situation. Go to his soundcloud, listen and download. Don't sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment